The Pennsylvania Turnpike and PennDOT have announced travel restrictions in anticipation of the snow storm that is expected to slam the region.
The Turnpike’s ban will start at 8 p.m. today.
Vehicles that will be banned include:
- Empty straight CDL-weighted trucks
- Large Combination Vehicles (double trailers)
- Tractors hauling empty trailers
- Any trailers pulled by motorcycles, passenger vehicles, pickup trucks or SUVs
- All motorcycles
- All recreational vehicles, or RVs.
The vehicles will be prohibited from traveling on the the turnpike’s east-west mainline from Ohio to New Jersey and on the entire Northeastern Extension (I-476).
Restrictions will remain in place through the storm.
PennDOT’s restriction also begin at 8 p.m. and include the following:
Empty straight CDL-weighted trucks, tractors hauling double trailers, tractors hauling empty trailers, trailers pulled by passenger vehicles, pick-up trucks, motorcycles and recreational vehicles, or RVs.
Impacted roads are:
- Interstate 76 across the state, which includes the Schuylkill Expressway and the East-West Turnpike mainline.
- Interstates 276 and 476, a portion of the mainline Turnpike in southeastern Pennsylvania and the entire Northeastern Extension.
- Interstate 476 between the Turnpike and Interstate 95
- Interstate 176 (entire length)
- Interstate 95 (entire length)
- Interstate 78 (entire length)
- Interstate 80 from the New Jersey line to the junction with Interstate 81.
- Interstate 81 from the Maryland line to the junction with Interstate 80.
- Interstate 99 (entire length)
- Interstate 79 from the Turnpike to Interstate 80.
In addition, also beginning at 8 PM, a full ban on commercial vehicles will be imposed on:
- Interstate 70, from the Maryland line to the Turnpike.
- Interstate 83 (entire length)
- Interstate 84 (entire length)
- Interstate 380 (entire length)
A commercial vehicle is defined as a vehicle used for commerce and meets one of the following conditions:
- Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 17,001 pounds or more, whichever is greater.
- Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation.
- Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation.
- Is a school bus.
- Is transporting hazardous materials which is required to be placarded in accordance with Department regulations.
Restrictions will remain in place as long as conditions warrant. As conditions develop, speed restrictions will be considered on these routes. If the forecast changes, PennDOT will quickly review and possibly adjust or lift the restrictions.
FOLLOW ROAD CONDITIONS:
Motorists can check PA Turnpike conditions before heading out at www.paturnpike.com; Travelers can also call the toll-free TRIP line at 866-976-TRIP (8747) for the latest travel information.
Follow the PA Turnpike on Twitter at: @PATurnpikeAlert.
For PennDOT, visit www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information and access to more than 850 traffic cameras. Users can also see plow truck statuses and travel alerts along a specific route using the “Check My Route” tool. 511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by